" My paintings reflect nature through my eyes....
the delicate balance between Everyday Life, the conservation of future
wildlife, and the hunting heritage I will pass on
to future generations. "
As a youngster, Scot Storm discovered his talent for drawing, sketching and design. These skills eventually led him to North Dakota State University where he earned a degree in architecture. While working in this field, Scot's love of hunting and the outdoors drew him to explore the challenges of wildlife art. In 1987, as a self-taught artist, he entered the Minnesota Duck Stamp contest and placed second. Encouraged by the acceptance of his initial work, he continued to enter stamp contests and enjoyed his first top award by winning the Indiana Pheasant Stamp competition in 1991.
Scot's interest in wildlife art became such a passion, that in 1999, he decided to give up his career in architecture and devote himself full- time to painting. Scot was then able to challenge himself in every aspect of his creations from composition, to lighting, to the accuracy and psychology of color. His paintings of waterfowl, hunting dogs and other animals all reveal his attention to the fine details that breathe life into every image and draw the viewer into a scene.
2005 Federal Duck Stamp Winner
"First Day of Sale Ceremony" for the 2004-2005 FEDERAL DUCK STAMP. Held July 1, 2004 at the Smithsonian Institute, Washington, D.C.
This is the first day that the 2004-05 Federal Duck Stamp can be purchased. This event draws stamp collectors from across the world to meet the artist and get their stamps personally signed.
Scot is the 16th Minnesota artist to win the Federal Duck Stamp contest. Minnesotans have won the 71 year old contest a total of 23 times.
Scot & Kris
Federal Duck Stamp
display in the
At the DEPARTMENT OF INTERIOR:
Scot accepting an award presented by the Honorable, Gale Norton.
Maddam Secretary also introduced Scot to speak to an audience attending the 2005 Federal Duck Stamp judging held at the Department of Interior.
Each year the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service sponsors the Federal Duck Stamp art competition. Wildlife artists all across the United States, both professional and amateur, vie for the coveted title of the world's most prestigious art competition...The Federal Duck Stamp.
Awards & Recognitions
- 1991 - Indiana Pheasant Habitat Stamp
- 2000 - Minnesota Pheasant Habitat Stamp
- 2000 - "Weather the Storm"-U.S. Art magazine-Top 50 prints for 2000
- 2001 - Minnesota Ducks Unlimited Artist of the Year
- 2001 - Pheasants Forever National Habitat Artist - "Legacy-MN"
- 2001 - Heritage Deer Classic, St. Louis, Missouri - Feature Artist
- 2002 - Pheasants Forever National Habitat Artist - "Legacy II-IA"
- 2003 - Pheasants Forever National Habitat Artist - "Legacy III-NE"
- 2004 - Minnesota Duck Stamp
- 2004 - FEDERAL DUCK STAMP
- 2004 - Oklahoma Duck Stamp
- 2004 - Pheasants Forever National Habitat Artist - "Legacy IV-IL"
- 2004 - Ducks Unlimited Great Outdoor Festival - Featured Artist
- 2004 - Watertown Art Festival, Watertown, SD - Featured Artist
- 2005 - Ducks Unlimited INTERNATIONAL ARTIST OF THE YEAR
- 2005 - People's Choice Award - NatureWorks Wildlife Art Show, Tulsa, OK
- 2005 - Pheasants Forever National Habitat Artist - "Prairie Heritage-KS"
- 2006 - Minnesota Pheasant Habitat Stamp
- 2006 - Ducks Unlimited International Commemorative Stamp & Print
- 2006 - Arkansas Duck Stamp
- 2006 - Pheasants Forever National Habitat Artist-"Grassland Splendor-WI"
- 2007 - Oklahoma Centennial Duck Stamp Print
- 2007 - Pheasant's Forever's National Convention - Feature Artist
- 2008 - North Carolina Waterfowl Stamp
- 2008 - Wild Wings 35th Annual Fall Festival - Artist's Choice
- 2009 - Minnesota Duck Stamp
- 2009 - Texas Duck Stamp
- 2009 - Minnesota Deer Hunters Association - Artist Of The Year
- 2009 - Pheasants's Forever - NATIONAL ARTIST OF THE YEAR
- 2009 - Minnesota Ducks Unlimited - Artist of the Year
- 2009 - Oklahoma Ducks Unlimited Artist of the Year
- 2010 - EXCELLENCE AWARD, NatureWorks Wildlife Art Show
- 2010 - Minnesota Deer Hunter's Association - Artist of the Year
- 2010 - North Carolina Waterfowl Stamp
- 2011 - Minnesota Pheasant Habitat Stamp
- 2011 - Minnesota Deer Hunters Association - Artist Of The Year
- 2012 - Arkansas Duck Stamp
- 2012 - Ducks Unlimited 75th Anniversary-New York City's Conservation Artist Of The Year
- 2013 - Pheasants Forever's NATIONAL ARTIST OF THE YEAR
- 2014 - Ducks Unlimited's INTERNATIONAL ARTIST OF THE YEAR
- 2014 - Minnesota Ducks Unlimited's Artist Of The Year
- 2014 - North Carolina Waterfowl Stamp - THREE TIME WINNER
- 2014 - Ken Greenwood Memorial Watefowl Award, NatureWorks Wildlife Art Show
- 2015 - Ducks Unlimited's Conservation Stamp Print
- 2015 - Minnesota Migratory Waterfowl Stamp
- 2015 - Ken Greenwood Memorial Waterfowl Award, NatureWorks Western & Wildlife Art Show
- 2016 - Arkansas Duck Stamp
- 2017 - Minnesota Pheasant Stamp - FOUR TIME WINNER
- 2017-18 - South Carolina Duck Stamp
- 2017-18 - Ducks Unlimited's INTERNATIONAL ARTIST OF THE YEAR - THREE TIME RECIPIENT
- 2017-18 - Ducks Unlimited's 8oth Anniversary Artist
- 2018-19 South Carolina Duck Stamp